Fireplace safety

Whether you use a gas or wood burning fireplace it is time to have it thoroughly examined and serviced before using this winter. Carbon monoxide hazards, fire hazards and many other hazards exist when using a fireplace not installed, maintained or used properly.

Many people are not aware of the fact that burning soft woods or woods that create more creosote is a safety hazard. Burning walnut wood can lead to excessive creosote and increased foul odors in your home. Storing wood outside not under cover allowing wood to be wet also creates substantially more creosote and can cause a chimney fire and house fire.

The safety of your family may very well depend on your maintenance and proper operation of the system. Be sure you hire a highly skilled professional with Trade Affiliations like the Chimney Safety Institute Of America and check references like Angie’s List if they are members or the Better Business Bureau.

Leave a Reply